We all hate to think that something could happen to us, but we know it happens to others like us every day.
We've all seen the news stories of moms and dads who leave their children with a babysitter, get into a terrible accident and don’t make it home.
The babysitter calls and calls, but there is no one to answer. The police are summoned and the children have to be placed with Child Protective Services. It's the thing every parent is most afraid of happening.
We've seen the stories of children placed in the care of people they barely know just because they are related by blood since there was no plan in place that dictated who would take on this incredible responsibility.
And we have seen the fall out of family fights created when mom and dad didn’t make a plan and the family couldn’t agree on what would happen. Or in the worst case, what happens when there is no family available.
In all cases, it’s left up to a Judge decide when mom and dad don’t.
We know you don't want this for your children (or grandchildren, nieces or nephews). And this is where a Kids Protection Plan® can ensure it never does. Not for your kids.
Developed by a nationally recognized attorney who is a mom herself, the Kids Protection Plan® provides Moms and Dads with the legal planning tools you need to make sure there is never a question about who will take care of your kids if you are in an accident. The plan includes:
- Legal documents to name short-term guardians who can be there immediately for your children so they'll never be taken into the arms of strangers or anyone you wouldn’t want. Not even for a moment.
- Guidance for the people named as short-term guardians so they will know just what to do if called upon.
- Instructions to everyone who takes care of your kids as to exactly what to do if you are in an accident … so there's never any question about who to call.
- Legal documents to name long-term guardians who will raise your children just as you would so there is no family feuding over your children.
- Instructions and guidelines for your long-term guardians on how you want your kids to be raised...make sure your kids are raised with your values, insights, stories and experience.
- Medical powers of attorney for your minor children so the next time they travel without you or you travel without them, you know they'll get the medical care they need.
- A custom, personalized I.D. card for your wallet stating that you have minor children at home and who should be contacted if you are in an accident.
As a Personal Family Lawyer®, I am one of the few lawyers in the world licensed to prepare a Kids Protection Plan® for your family and if you do not have one in place already for your children, this “back-to-school” time is the perfect time to “get organized” and prepare this plan for your family.
Aside from the Kids Protection Plan®, complete legal and financial planning for the care and protection of your family’s also includes:
- Your Health care. Defining how your medical needs will be addressed in case you cannot make health care decisions for yourself is a primary objective of having an estate plan. You also need to consider how you will meet the costs of long-term care. You need to name someone to make decisions for you and tell them how you want them made. This must be legally documented or the person you want caring for you, cannot.
- Avoiding Family feuds. Family fights over how assets are divided and distributed are common when there is no estate plan and/or trusted advisor to guide family members. Sadly enough, these fights happen even when amounts of money are small OR even when there is no money at stake. Some of the biggest fights happen in storage units over sentimental items with no monetary value at all. If you don’t want your family to fight, you plan your estate.
- Beneficiary forms. You likely have several assets that cannot be passed along in a will alone. These include IRAs, life insurance, retirement plans and annuities, all of which are governed by beneficiary forms that specify who is to receive the assets upon the death of an account holder. Completing these forms properly is estate planning
- Continuing care for other dependents. If you are currently responsible for the care of elderly parents or a person who has special needs you need a plan for the continuation of that care after you are gone.
- Managing assets. Is your spouse or other family member capable of managing all your assets? If not, you will need to name someone who is capable of doing this now so your assets will be managed wisely for the benefit of your family in the future.
- Business succession. If you own a business, you will need a succession plan to govern what happens to your ownership shares if something should happen to you.
If you would still like to know more about the legal planning busy parents should do to prepare for the worst case – and why it is not enough to “wear clean underwear” in case you are in an accident – you can get the FREE BOOK, Wear Clean Underwear! A Fast, Fun, Friendly – and Essential – Guide to Legal Planning for Busy Parents.
I am giving away copies of this bestselling book by nationally-recognized lawyer for parents, Alexis Martin Neely, because it gives parents the information they need on how to protect their kids, pass on what really matters (no matter how much money you have), and know for sure that you have done right by the people you love – all in an easy to read “choose your own adventure” style book. To get it, go to www.StrubLaw.com/freebook, enter your name, email, & check the box for “FREE BOOK”. You will receive a PDF by email or specify in the comments that you prefer a Kindle version (you will receive an email with a gift code).
In any case, you got your kids prepared for school, now it is time to “get schooled” on how to prepare your family for the worst case. Start now and by the holidays you will be giving your family the greatest gift – the peace of mind of knowing there is a plan reflecting your forethought and love. Presented as such you might convince your kids that the security is worth way more than the full list of the material goods they want for the holidays!
If you are in NJ, as I am, I have a special offer for readers of www.AuthenticParent.org. Since I know how committed to being wonderful parents you are and how important this planning is, parents who mention reading this post will receive a complimentary Family Wealth Planning Session (a $400 value) and will be able to take $200 off a complete plan (through November 2013). In a Family Wealth Planning Session we will discuss what would happen right now to your family if something happened to you; what your needs, values, and goals are for your family; and what you would prefer, if different, to have happen. Email StrubLaw@gmail.com today and mention this post to schedule your complimentary session.
If you are not in New Jersey, go to www.PersonalFamilyLawyer.com to find a Personal Family Lawyer® in your state. All Personal Family Lawyers® are committed to practicing law differently, trained by Alexis Martin Neely (the author of the free book), and licensed to create Kids Protection Plans®. Many of the Personal Family Lawyers® have indicated that they will also offer a complimentary Family Wealth Planning Session or match my offer, so be sure to mention this post (through the end of November 2013).
Rebecca Begelman Strub is an Attorney for Parents with Kids at Home, Providing Comprehensive Plans Tailored to Your Family's Needs, Values & Goals - No Matter What
~ Secure your Legacy, Enrich your Life ~